February 11, 2016

That four-letter word. Just what does it have to do with shaving?

Roses are red, violets are blue, we know what the Kama Sutra, monkeys and Patrick Dempsey all have in common. Do you?

By RJ In stubble

It’s that time of year again. The mid-February flurry of red roses, boxed chocolates and fine champagne. Valentine’s Day represents many things to many people. For some, it is a day in honour of their loved one. For others, it presents itself as an opportunity to rekindle a dwindling romance or even the nascence of another. Whether February 14th is a day you love or hate, we have taken a look at grooming’s inextricable relationship with romance, sex, flirtation and the four-letter word itself.

KAMA SUTRA – WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT GROOMING?

It is safe to say the Kama Sutra sits up there as one of the most widely recognised titles in literature. Considered world-over as the reference to success in the bedroom, many would be suprised to learn that only 20% of the eminent tome is actually concerned with sex… There are 64 different sexual acts to be precise. So what about the other 80%? All in all, Vatsyayana’s most celebrated philosophical work is, in fact, an approach on the best ways to live you life and provides sage advice on achieving happiness. What does that have to do with grooming, you ask? Well, it just so turns out that the Kama Sutra is an advocate for the clean-shaven man and encourages men to shave their faces (and other parts of their body) frequently to maintain a healthy appearance. You don’t need to tell us twice!

MONKEY BUSINESS – GROOMING IS (HUMAN) NATURE!

If you thought grooming was a ritual reserved for the human race. Think again. Grooming practices have been observed in many species of animals from the most ferocious of felines to our fellow primates. ‘Social grooming’ or ‘preening’ is not only a way of taking care of collective appearance of the pride or troop, it’s a way of socialising, building trust and strengthening bonds. In some species, it is even a means of resolving conflict. The next time you and your loved one get into a fight, forget chocolates and flowers and take a leaf out of the jungle book.

JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED – PATRICK DEMPSEY’S TWO CENTS ON SHAVING

The American actor, race car driver and heartthrob had the following to say when he was asked about shaving a few years back.

“I hate shaving. It’s much easier to just do a little stubble, but my wife and daughter like it when I’m clean-shaven. If you see me with a clean face, then you know I’m in the kissing mode!”

A LITTLE BIT OF SHAKESPEARE TO SOOTHE THE LOVELESS THIS VALENTINE’S DAY

For those of you who aren’t planning on any lavish affairs this Valentine’s Day and are doing everything to avoid the holiday of love, we have just the comic relief to cheer you up. Put down the microwave meal for one, turn off Celine Dion, flick the V to Valentine’s Day and take a read of this quote from romance personified himself, the maker of star-crossed lovers, composer of some of the world’s most beautiful poetry, Mr. William Shakespeare. (Yes, even the master of lovesong loved a bit of humour.) Forget the tragic romance of Romeo and Juliet, it’s all about this quote from A Midsummer Night’s Dream in which Bottom the donkey considers a trip to the barber.

“I must to the barber’s, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face; and I am such a tender ass, if my hair do but tickle me I must scratch.”

Leave a Comment